The Mass Transit Railway (MTR) system is one of the cleanest and most efficient underground systems in the world. It consists of nine lines: Kwun Tong Line, Tsuen Wan Line, Island Line, Tung Chung Line, Tseung Kwan O Line, Disneyland Resort Line, East Rail Line, Ma On Shan Line, West Rail Line, and these have a total of 82 stations. Now also operated by the MTR, the Airport Express provides services between Central Hong Kong and Hong Kong International Airport, and has stops at Kowloon, and AsiaWorld Expo. The Light Rail network on the other hand, can take you to 68 stops in the North West New Territories. In addition, it also provides fast train services to major cities across mainland China.
See below for the general destinations of each line:
- Airport Express –between AsiaWorld-Expo (Lantau Island), Kowloon and Hong Kong island
- Tsuen Wan Line –between Tsuen Wan (New Territories), Kowloon and Central, Hong Kong Island
- Island Line –between Sheung Wan and Chai Wan (Northern Part of Hong Kong Island)
- Kwun Tong Line –between Yau Ma Tei (Kowloon) and Tiu Kend Leng (Sai Kung)
- Tung Chung Line –between Tung Ching (Lantau Island) and Hong Kong Island
- Tseung Kwan O Line –between Po Lam and North Point, Hong Kong Island
- Disneyland Resort Line –between Sunny Bay and Disneyland Resort
- East Rail Line –between Hung Hom (Kowloon) and Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau (New Territories)
- West Rail Line-between East Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon) and Tuen Mun (New Territories)
The MTR stations is equipped with facilities offering all of the services you might need, such as hotel reservation agencies, convenience stores, fashion shops, pastry shops, Disneyland ticketing agency, Bill Payment Centers, ATM services, customer service centers, post boxes, souvenir shops, and even computer centers.